Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cheryl Chow, Seattle's API leader comes out!

Cheryl Chow being 66 years now is still making waves in the community.  What great news to wake up to. After thinking about my own coming out process and realizing at the Brandi Carlile (another local Seattle lesbian) concert a few nights ago that it has been 10 years since my coming out to myself. Now with political leader Cheryl Chow, who has been a well regarded and spokesperson for the API community, has come out  - its a big deal.
This will shift the perspectives and have a rippling effect in the broader API community in Seattle.  Especially since the API leadership community is mostly hetero (at least in the public eye), this will definitely challenge more conservative Chinese and API families that has respected and followed her leadership through the years.  I know personally this will have an impact on my family in Seattle and it makes it easier for me one day when I come out to my extended family, who are pretty traditional and conservative.

Its unfortunate that these great news, also come with the sad news that Cheryl Chow is battling cancer.  Cancer is an atrocious disease that I've been learning more and more about. There's actually a pretty good book I'm reading right now about an Indian woman, Anita Moorjani, who overcame her late stage cancer within days after a near death experience.  Its well documented and is a true story, she basically woke up from her coma cured of cancer.  Don't believe me?  Check it out for yourself - the book is "Dying to Be Me."

Best wishes to Cheryl Chow and we here at LesbeAsian thanks you for coming out. Hopefully the political and emotional healing of coming out will positively impact the healing of your physical health.

Listen to her interview on MYnorthwest.

1 comment:

  1. Good for her for coming out, but her battle with cancer is unfortunate. Still, in the words of Kelly Clarkson,"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!". So good luck Cheryl Chow, keep on fighting!

    ReplyDelete